Wednesday, July 14, 2004

NPR-IV (media drip)

There's no question that I am a public radio geek, which is why I was so floored when an NPR personality emailed yesterday. She knew about my dissertation topic and had read an op-ed I'd written on a particular trial three years ago. Would I therefore comment on new developments in that trial?

• Step 1: Fly into a panic and race to Google. (What new developments?)
• Step 2: Read about new developments; begin re-reading loathsome old dissertation files.
• Step 3: Commence nervousness, in the form of pounding head and lurching stomach.
• Step 4: Draft four talking points on trial outcome for which I still feel major ambiguity.
• Step 5: Phone NPR personality and decline interview, citing new distance from Midwestern city. Offer contact info for two local commentators instead.

I wouldn't say that I chickened out exactly. I was just wary of having what would necessarily be a 5- or 6-sentence response reduced to a misleading sound bite. Okay, maybe I am a little poultry around the edges. But the good news is that I've been asked to comment on future stories, especially those involving the background of the case and its defendant. And this has given me another kick in the pants as I finish my manuscript. Halleluiah, some people out there are interested in my tiny corner of expertise and what I have to say about it. What a wonderful world.

6 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Cool! It's great to be reminded that there is an audience out there for your expertise.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a mistake. Getting interviewed by the national media is something that would look very good in your tenure file. You should seize opportunities like this as they arise.

From where I stand, this looks like a case of the "imposter syndrome", in which many young faculty mistakenly feel that they're really not qualified.
As a result, they're often afraid to accept invitations to give presentations, author papers, etc.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Hmmm...what tenure file? I'm a trailing spouse, feeding, for the moment, on "part-time" crumbs. And perhaps that only supports your argument, which does make sense. Not to worry, though, Anonymous. I promise I didn't totally close a door on this one.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Benedict said...

By personality you must mean someone who actually does the talking, not an unknown tape cutter. I hope you will call and tell me all about it, after you determine what you will say.

Provided you haven't already submitted your talking points.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Benedict said...

Oh, and the title... Who is the drip?

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Le drip, c'est moi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home