Saturday, October 02, 2004

Woke up, fell out of bed...

I have a friend who hates the Beatles. So I hope he'll forgive me when I compare my present state of my mind to the cacophonous crescendo near the end of "A Day in the Life." A slow-mounting tsunami of deadlines and toil now threatens to flatten me with its wall of unforgiving noise. As in the song, there will be a crash to silence by month’s end. But the post-crash hum won’t cease til mid-December.

I need to remind myself that “this work is a pleasure, this work is a pleasure.” Optimism hasn't yet lost the battle to despair. But I also fear that I can’t work fast enough. Can’t focus hard enough. Can’t put off sleep enough to do all the things that I need to accomplish in the next 20 to 30 days.

Still—when I read over that last paragraph, a little voice in the back of my head whispers her defiance. “Watch me!”

2 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Blogger Manorama said...

Totally with you on the repeating "This work is a pleasure" thing....

It's supposed to work, right? :)

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Professor Dyke said...

I've always loved the Beatles, so I'm quite taken with the metaphor of the semester being like the crescendo in "A Day in the Life." Yup. That's exactly it! Hang in there for the next 20-30 days, and will definitely be watching for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home