Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Mad Hot

This movie is my favorite movie of the summer.* I highly, highly recommend it.

*Okay. Not that it's had a lot of competition. Or, rather, its competition has been as follows:

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Pretty lame. But had to see it because of the Gilmore Girls connection. Alas, Alexis Bledel was the worst thing about the movie. Liked America Ferrera and Amber Tamblyn, though.

Howl's Moving Castle. Charming, imaginative. Just hated Howl and the awful ending. On the plus side, we can now crack ourselves up just by saying, "Your hair -- it's like starlight!"

3 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

if you haven't already, you should read the book of Howl's Moving Castle. It has the cute stuff but is less contrived and silly.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger What Now? said...

Looks like fun; certainly a cross between Spellbound and Strictly Ballroom sounds fabulous.

D. and I also went to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, in our case because of the Joan of Arcadia connection. Not terrible, but certainly overly sentimental. The redeeming feature of the film has been that a British friend of mine (used to a different definition of "pants") kept calling it "Sisterhood of the Traveling Underpants," which for some juvenile reason I found hilarious.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I love Christian Bale, but somehow could never really fall in love with Howl - I kept waiting for another love interest to swoop in! What really struck me, watching that movie, was how culturally bound fairy tales are - I really had the sense that the director was working out of a completely different fairy-tale tradition than I'm used to (and I realize it's taken from a western book, but that was still the sense I had). Lots of lovely bits in it, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home