Sunday, August 15, 2004

Advice Taken, pt. 1

Emboldened by the recent discussion of mentors over at New Kid's, I sent emails to two of my former advisers today. Rather than bowing and scraping on email as I have in the past, I made a direct request for an updated dossier letter and (gulp) a telephone conversation in which we would discuss both job hunting strategies and the state of my manuscript. (Am tossing down a gauntlet. Or, at least, tossing off the mantle of the trailing spouse.)

I figured I'd have at least until the end of the month before I had to prepare for these phone conversations. And, indeed, within seconds, from the more elusive of these advisers came an automated email reply, one which indicated that she couldn't be reached until the beginning of October.

Then, just a few hours later, a real email popped up from the same woman. It was a warm note, offering about thirteen different ways to get in touch with her during her travels with family. She also offered to phone me — tomorrow, if necessary.

Eep. Ask and ye shall receive. I thought for sure that I'd have until the end of this month to prepare. This should serve as a real kick in the arse.

3 Comments:

At 3:15 AM, Blogger litprof said...

It's great you got such a warm response! Direct communication is good, especially when it's returned :)

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Mel said...

way to go! and what a nice response from her. People are much more willing to be helpful re the market now, rather than in early October...

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

You are my role model. I will imitate your approach tomorrow, first thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home