Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Lying Down, pt. 1

Last story first. It begins with a beloved cat with brand new, and reluctantly granted, outdoor privileges. Two weeks earlier, he'd had his shots. And, for the first time in his little life, it was Adam, and not I, who took him to the vet.

I'm a fan of vets, but am forever embarrassing myself in their offices. Whenever my cat is vaccinated or has blood drawn, I inevitably get weepy. I can't help it. I love G. like I love certain members of my family. I adore my husband's cats, too. But, with G., I'm the overprotective mother who can't bear to watch her child endure pain.

So I struggled to keep cool when G. returned home last Friday morning, his ruff damp with another animal's saliva. A moment earlier, Adam and I had both been startled from our desks by a yelp of hurt surprise. In my mind, the sound was an opera singer's note, flung into sky and marring sky with its tracings. The sound was frailty. It was disagreeable black satin. Then the sound dropped to earth and became the panicked shape of my G., scrambling toward us from the tree line.

I pored over G's grey fluff, but, apart from the saliva, could find no other marks. Since G. didn't offer any explanations, we decided he must have tangled with the neighbor's kitty — mouths clamped on necks in that disturbing cat way. G. didn't ask to go out again for the rest of the day. Instead, he burrowed himself deep in the back closet, beneath the swaddled slant of my grandmother's tabletop. I checked on him a few dozen times, and then left for campus.

By 6 p.m., G. was feverish and rag doll limp. I cursed myself for staying on campus so long. Adam was apologizing profusely for not having paid more attention.

"It's okay," I said, loading G. into his carrier. "It's going to be okay. I'm just so grateful he recently had all his shots."

Adam's face twitched.

"What?"

"His shots. I'm not sure..."

"WHAT?"

"I'm just not sure— I don't remember— I'm not sure I asked for ALL his shots."

One by one, each of our three cats had been allowed access to the outdoors this summer. More by accident than design, we had staggered their vet visits, but the bills were steep. It didn’t help that we hadn't received a paycheck since May. And by early August, when Adam had taken in G.…

“Tell me that he had his rabies shot.”

Adam looked stricken. “I’m just not —”

“Tell me he had the shot. I need you to tell me that right now. Tell me he had the shot, Adam.”

(Pause.) “I don’t want to say something that might not be true.”

I stared at him a moment and then darted upstairs to check the vet records.

8 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

You're killing me with this story! I hope G. is okay!! (Sorry to get exclamation-pointy, but I am a true kitty sap.)

Waiting with bated breath....

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I hope G is OK! and you. Please tell us what happened. Soon.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger What Now? said...

Let me chime in as well: you must finish the story for the mental well-being of all cat-lovers who read your blog!

Our cats are indoor only--I just can't handle the stress of letting them outside--but still, ever since our beloved cat M. died two years ago (peacefully curled up in a cardboard box that I'd left in the dining room for her to play with), I become frantic any time that I can't immediately find our other two cats, F. and B. And B. has now been on thyroid medicine for a year now (a pill twice daily), which ratchets up my anxiety for their well-being that much further. All of which is to say, I feel for you in your worries about your beloved kitty. I hope she's okay!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Prairie Philosopher said...

I hope your baby is ok! I can't bear to let my boys out. I had one beloved cat contract a virus that gave him chronic kidney problems from catching birds. I, too, am a serious cat parent.

BTW, this is the 1st time I've visited & I really like your style... As reluctant as I am to increase the # of blogs I visit regularly, I am going to have to make room for Yes, YelloCello.

BTW, aren't you concerned to blow your pseudonymity?

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger YelloCello said...

What Now - I don't mean to mess with the mental well-being of cat lovers. G. has come through his ordeal. And, yes, I'm back to my original position of keeping him as an indoor kitty. (More on that later.)

ABD 2004, I hadn't appreciated that you and the author Eudaemonia's Horizon are one and the same. Glad to know that. Also - on pseudonymity... if I'm doing something really stupid, maybe you could let me know what that is?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

Glad to know G is ok. I've noticed a scabby place on Mr. Boots today, just where I thought he'd been stung by a yellow jacket (it's happened before), but now I'm not sure if it's an abscess or what. We've got indoor-outdoor kitties, and I'm pretty assiduous about their shots and licences, but there are still so many nasties they can pick up. Ugh.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

关爱生命,关注糖尿病,为糖尿病患者带来福音!


反应釜
搪瓷反应釜
搪瓷
生物柴油
造粒机
造粒
搜索引擎优化
搜索引擎优化
糖尿病
鲜花
游戏币
非淋菌性尿道炎
疱疹
美甲
网站优化
买金币
魔兽金币
疤痕
游戏币
买金币
魔兽金币
室内设计
癫痫
液晶电视
等离子电视
网络电话
癌症
肿瘤
食道癌
肝癌
胃癌
肺癌
脑瘤
乳腺癌
直肠癌
恶性淋巴瘤
淋巴癌
食道癌的治疗
肝癌治疗
肺癌治疗
胃癌治疗
乳腺癌的治疗
癌症治疗
肝硬化腹水
肝腹水
肝硬化

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

加气混凝土设备
加气混凝土设备
疤痕
糖尿病
搜索引擎优化
游戏币
买金币
魔兽金币
魔兽金币
游戏币
买金币
食道癌
食管癌
食道癌的治疗
食管癌的治疗
贲门癌
贲门癌的治疗
食道癌的治疗
癌症
肿瘤
食道癌
肝癌
胃癌
肺癌
脑瘤
乳腺癌
直肠癌
淋巴癌
鼻咽癌
乳腺癌
胃癌
肝癌
土工格栅
碳纤维
输送设备
输送设备
非淋菌性尿道炎
疱疹
鄂式破碎机
免烧砖机
烘干机
碎石机
球磨机
耐火材料
煤气发生炉
雷蒙磨
雷蒙磨
球磨机
选矿设备
牛皮癣
银屑病
牛皮癣
银屑病
球磨机
碎石机
免烧砖机
食道癌
膀胱癌
肺癌
桥式起重机
桥式起重机
起重机
起重机
天车
电动葫芦
室内设计
癫痫
鲜花
旅游策划
旅游规划
旅游规划
旅游开发
旅游规划
旅游规划
造粒
反应釜
反应釜
造粒机
肝硬化腹水
肝腹水
肝硬化
瘦脸
抽脂
除皱
变性
丰胸
整形美容
整形美容
网络电话
液晶电视
等离子电视
食道癌
食道癌
食管癌
贲门癌
糖尿病
癫痫病
癫痫
糖尿病

 

Post a Comment

<< Home