Friday, May 20, 2005

Closing

Tomorrow, our sweet little house will belong to someone else. And, much as I like the new people, I am making myself scarce for the a.m. walk-through.

It feels like we're losing something more personal than property. I'm surprised by the envy I feel for these new people. Not just for taking the house, no. But for being on the verge of the life (and long residence) that was supposed to be Adam's and mine.

This is the second house for which I dared to have big, sentimental dreams. And it's the second house to bear witness to a far different narrative than the one I'd imagined would unfold in its rooms.

I know. It's just a house. Time to trade one dream for another. Our next home will be an apartment. This time, I'm not writing any scripts.

[Up next: The Script]

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger What Now? said...

I know this next stage for you all wasn't part of the original script, but I hope it's a fabulous and worthwhile adventure nonetheless!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I remember how emotional I was when we sold our first house. And I still drive by there and get annoyed when I see that the new owner has cut down one of the bushes or run the peonies over with a lawnmower.

I know too how hard it is to let go of dreams. But sometimes that makes room for new ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home