Saturday, August 06, 2005

Thankful

I started crying in the shower this morning. But it was a good cry — tears of one hundred percent joy. Our dear friends' baby has finally arrived. Granted, he arrived two weeks late and after 50 (count 'em!) fifty hours of drug-free labor. (Did I mention that his mother is a stud?) So we're elated he's finally here. Because I love his parents so much, I am already so very much enchanted with and in love with this new little guy. I can't wait to meet him in person.

Meanwhile, it's been a pretty good week here in Alleged Utopia-ville. My friend Q and I call Thursday "Fave Day," because it's our favorite day, and one on which good things are meant to happen. This past Fave Day lived up to its reputation. I had a lovely lunch with Shelly, a woman who had made friendly overtures at an orientation function back in May, and who graciously followed up on them once I'd moved to town. We confirmed that we do indeed have a great deal in common. And, although she's modest about it, I know there's a lot that I could learn from her. Shelly and I may form a little writing group for ourselves and a few other folks with interests that overlap. But, for now, I'm thankful for the stirrings of a new (and local) friendship.

Fave Day brought a second lovely surprise. My "faculty mentor" emailed me out of the blue. I'd had no idea that I was going to be assigned such a mentor. I also couldn't have predicted that she would have degrees in the two fields that I had, just a day earlier, told Adam were the two fields that I want to pursue. I'm pleasantly freaked out by the serendipity of the match.

Friday held further treats in the form of a coffee with a friend-of-a-friend and a woodsy hike with A.'s new colleague and her partner. I dare say that these were the beginnings of three new female friendships.

So, yeah. Am feeling dizzy with gratitude for the things that make life sweet. And for the people who make a new town feel like home.

2 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

It's always nice to hear good news!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger What Now? said...

I'm so glad that good things are happening for you and for those you love! I know that the last year was a tough one in a lot of ways, so I'm happy for you that things are really on an upward swing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home