Saturday, January 08, 2005

Stupid Injuries

Sometimes I think I am the queen of stupid injuries. I have been knocked out while running to first base. I have fractured my foot by toppling over a suitcase full of books. I have stabbed my forehead (accidentally, I assure you) with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Yesterday, I may have sustained the stupidest injury of all. I sprained two fingers and put a bloody gash in one hand....while trying to break apart a block of dark chocolate.

(P.S. It was worth it.)

14 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I once broke my leg in two places running down MY OWN STAIRS. And I can't count how many times I've slammed my own fingers in my own car door.

At least this time you had a noble reason for your injury. Dark chocolate is always worth it.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

Ouch! But dark chocolate *is* worth it.

I once chopped through my fingernail - that was a little freaky.

Plus, I have lousy depth perception, so when I'm sleep-deprived (i.e. much of the time!), I tend to walk into things (door jambs, especially...it's impressive).

Anyway, I hope you heal quickly!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger wolfa said...

How? I'd also love to know about the pliers one.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Mel said...

yikes! but it's very impressive that you made it to the keyboard to blog about it anyway, sprained fingers and all!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

I'm sorry, that made me laugh.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger What Now? said...

At least in your old age you'll be able to brag about "my old chocolate injury"!

I once set my own hair on fire at an Easter church service, which I thought might take the stupid-injury cake, but you've trumped me!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Ouch to the leg story, the sliced fingernail story, and the hair-on-fire story! (Flaming hair stories make me feel guilty, in that they remind me of the time a friend leaned into a candlestick at a dinner party, and I managed to do was point and sputter at her. She was a ways away from me, but still... I wish I'd had the presence of mind to leap into action, so she didn't have to put out her own hair. What did you do, What Now?)

I can't begin to fathom how I managed injury on the chocolate bar. I know I gashed myself with my own not-very-long fingernail. And I "sprained" the two fingers (maybe that's not the right word, but over 24 hours later, they're aching still) by causing them to bend the wrong way (when the very thick, king-sized bar abruptly snapped) and then accidentally smacking one of them on the edge of my desk. It's so stupid that I couldn't even recreate it if I wanted to...

Prof. B, I don't blame you for laughing. I laughed immediately myself, upon realizing what the new height (or depth?) of clumsiness I had achieved.

As for the pliers, suffice it to say that if you are ever installing a chain-lock on your basement door, and if the head of one of the screws for that chain lock should break off, never, NEVER try to remove the broken screw with a needle-nosed pliers. Especially do not do this if you are balanced awkwardly over the basement stairs and if you are yanking with the pliers on a level with your head...

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger What Now? said...

I didn't even realize that my hair was on fire. The woman sitting behind me smacked me on the head, which at first I thought was *very* rude behavior, especially in church(!), until I realized that she'd just put out the flames on my head. And then of course that terrible burnt-hair smell filled the sanctuary, mixing not-so-nicely with the incense. You can imagine all of the jokes about how I'd mixed up church holidays, that I was clearly celebrating Pentecost early, etc.

I hope your fingers heal soon and that the now-broken chocolate is providing you some solace.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Ah, so maybe it was the Holy Spirit who set fire to your hair? :-) Funny about the woman hitting your head in church. ("Um, and peace be with you, lady.") I know that distinctive, burnt-hair smell. We smelled it the other day when one of our cats got too curious about a candle and stuck his face too close to the flame. He didn't seem as fazed as we were by his near-miss.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

Wow. That is quite the injury, especially the gash part.

My best was breaking 2 ribs while jogging.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Katelynn said...

poor cat my brother would die if he heard that story as am i

 
At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im sitting here all bandaged up.I was really tired and made some soup.my complete exhausted state made me unaware that HAND BLENDER should not be taken literally.its really the in joke now,haha ifeel so stoopid.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Katelynn said...

one day my friend shaved her eyebrows and i wanted to do it too so i did and i cut my eye i feel so stinkin stupid duh

 
At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just got 8 stiches in my finger opening a can
and 3 years ago i got my hand cought in (no pun intended) a hand blender! witch gave me 11 stiches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home