Monday, January 03, 2005

The war that was supposed to end all wars

Despite my present dismay for the country of my birth, I remain captivated by U.S. history. But "my" periods—that is, the periods I've written about, and those I find most intriguing — have always been the 1930s and the 1960s/1970s.

Tonight, however, I felt lucky to catch the second half of an absorbing PBS documentary (honest! that's not an oxymoron!) about Woodrow Wilson, the "Great War," and the failed League of Nations. This has fed my growing obsession with the period 1914-1920. So, too, have other chance encounters in popular culture. Over Christmas, I read Margaret Atwood's remarkable The Blind Assassin, which is partially set in that period. On New Year's Eve, we watched Gods and Monsters, which turned out to have a World War I sub-plot. And I recently obtained (but have not yet screened) a copy of "Iron-Jawed Angels", about the circa-1919 women's suffrage movement.

Meanwhile, A Very Long Engagement is showing at our neighborhood's little theatre this week. Three guesses where Adam and I will be tomorrow night...

6 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger What Now? said...

Ah, the 1910s--totally fabulous decade! As is the 1930s. I have to confess that I can do without the 1960s/70s, although I teach it every spring and always do find interesting (to me) things to say. May I also recommend the 1920s? a delightful vintage! Of course, this recommendation is all about MY work, not yours; very egocentric of me.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Ah, What Now, your recommendations I certainly respect and take seriously. I agree that the twenties are a delightful "vintage." :-)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

What Now?, I'd happily ditch the 60s/70s too! (Not that this has anything to do with your work or Cello's either. ;-D)

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

Ooops - sorry, M, didn't mean to diss one of your eras... certainly there are lots of important things happening in the 60s/70s, I just find them hard to take! will crawl away now...

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Hee hee -- No worries. I don't feel dissed. :-)

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger YelloCello said...

A Very Long Engagement is beautifully shot. If you enjoyed the aesthetic in Amelie and the City of Lost Children, you will probably like it also. (Although, unlikes these others, Engagement naturally contains many grisly images of war.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home