Thursday, March 03, 2005

Channeling

I watched the movie Monster this week, and all I can say is that I wish I hadn't. I've really maxed out on violent films this year, thanks to a writing project that requires a steady diet of them.

Charlize Theron was impressive, sure. But, in her moments of strut, she also kept reminding me of Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice. Or Michael Keaton in any of his more manic parts.

This isn't meant as a slam on either Theron or Keaton. But, if you happen to be watching Monster, check out the scene in which Theron decks a restaurant manager. Watch her throw shoulders back and gesticulate with both arms, upper arms held apart from her torso. Watch for the tilt of her head, the jutting of her lower jaw and the slight downturn at the corners of her lips. And then try to tell me that she isn't channeling Keaton.

I was expecting another round of bad dreams last night. Instead, I woke up with the klezmer tune from this beautiful Jim Henson tribute (found at Arete) in my head. Coincidentally, Adam awoke with the same music looping through his brain. Which prompts the question: Does one of us hum in his or her sleep?

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger What Now? said...

Bless you for saying "prompts the question" instead of the now-popular-and-almost-always-wrong "begs the question"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home