Friday, February 18, 2005

Monster hates fire

Did I mention that I re-read Frankenstein this fall? I appreciated it a lot more this time around than I did at age 14. Having read Shelley's novel, I naturally had to see James Whale's 1931 movie by the same name. And that kicked off a Frankenstein obsession... I rented Bride of Frankenstein (fabulous!) and Young Frankenstein (dated, but Gene Wilder is still pretty funny). I coaxed friends to the dreadful Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (why, Kenneth, why?!), and then, redeeming myself, to the quite worthwhile Gods and Monsters.

My mind skips back to the original Frankenstein movie now, to the scene in which the monster swats at the fiery torches. "Uhhhn! Uhhhn!" Yeah, that's me with my writing deadlines pressing in. Monster wants sunlight. Monster hates fire.

Cello actually likes a good fire now and again, especially if it involves marshmallows and chocolate. Not that she could tell you much about such pleasures, since, long separated from her blog, her words have all dried up.

Try, Monster. (Try, Cello.) "BLAAAHHHHG. GOOOOD."

Throw the switch with fingers crossed: "It's alive!! It's alive!!"

6 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger Mel said...

blog good.
blog small.
little words will grow.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger anbruch said...

It's alive indeed! Nice to hear your voice again.

jwb

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

Mmmm, marshmallows and chocolate...

Hope the Monster is doing well!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Good to have you back. I always wonder when blogwriters just disappear ...

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Benedict said...

I once wrote Blogger's technical support and asked them what happened to blogs when the bloggers died. Does it remain unchanged at the last post, or does the family and friends of the writer beg for its removal?
Someone wrote back indicating that both had happened in the past, and that I really shouldn't worry about it.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I'm glad you're back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home