Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Eavesdropping, jaw dropping

Overheard on the bus

A male senior:
"College is wasting my time. My law school applications are already out, so, like, why should I do any work for the rest of my senior year? It's not like an undergraduate degree means anything anymore. Basically, this is just a place where I had to hang out for four years before I could go get a degree that actually does something for me."

Overheard before class

A female sophomore:
"Oprah is looking pretty hot these days. I had her [show] on this afternoon and it was all about these old women in, like, their 50s, who had made a big change in their looks. Like, they were hotter than I am!"

3 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Benedict said...

I have a theory;
I believe that young people who make such jaw-dropping comments in public are displaying a form of evolution. Like a monkey that learns to hold onto a branch with its tail and pick bananas with both paws, these young people can be artfully cynical and naive at the same time.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger MJ said...

I eavesdrop (actually, I prefer the term "overlisten") on students fairly frequently, especially on the bus. I once heard one tell her friend that she had been accepted to grad school at "John Hopkins." I, um, doubted it. :-)

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Nels P. Highberg said...

Hey, I saw that Oprah episode, and I have to admit, gender differences aside, I said that I have no hope of being that in shape when I'm 50 and I still have fifteen years to get there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home