Thursday, August 11, 2005

Rejection

The rejection letter I knew was coming finally arrived today. I ripped it open over the recycling bin, eager to continue repressing memories of my humiliating job interview of a few weeks ago.

I was rejected all right. No surprise there. But I had to read the letter all the way through, because it contained none of the boilerplate language of the rejection genre. Instead, it was eloquent, generous, and warm. What's more, two of the hiring committee offered to meet to talk about my "journey in progress." They also offered some closing words of encouragement that I would record here, were they not so personalized and lacking in cliché.

So I slowly folded the letter in half... and tucked it into the wire basket on my desk. Now I have to figure out if and how I will make a reply. In the meantime, though, that letter feels like a salve on sunburnt skin.

5 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger What Now? said...

How lovely! What generous interviewers they were.

I once got a rejection letter so nice (it was a form letter for an academic job) that I wrote a note back to the head of the committee to thank him for his generosity.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice actually to get a letter that pays attention to you as a person! Even if it is a rejection. How encouraging!

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a rejection like that once, and it changed the direction of my career. The head of personnel at a major public library system called me in personally to tell me why I hadn't been chosen for a staff job (no MLS). Then she told me that with my interests, etc. etc. I should get an MLS, and she tipped me off to various library systems in the state that would pay part or all of my tuition if I went to work for them. I applied at one of them, got the job, and got the degree.

I would say definitely take advantage of any offers like that. It might be the universe (or at least someone with more experience, who might be able to see your talents more easily than you can) telling you something.

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really know how to put together an awesome blog!

Please go ahead and check out my site on bracelet. Its a comprehensive site on bracelet and other related topics.

Keep smiling!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Benedict said...

Go brace yourself, anonymous bot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home