Tuesday, January 04, 2005

RESOLVED

To WRITE every day. That's been my one and only resolution for 2005.

In tandem with that promise, I also resolve to be KINDER to myself (that is, to shun regret and self-loathing) and to be HARDER on myself (to banish fear and laziness).

I’d also like to put a muzzle on my self-conscious self, the voice that’s screaming right now about how egocentric my resolutions appear. “But, Cello, they’re all about YOU and nobody else.”

Just let this be a start, okay? Just let this be a start.

(Later: The Fine Print)

4 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

That's okay - resolutions are always about yourself. Even if it's about doing more for others or volunteering or whatever, they're still all about oneself. Besides, you can't help anyone else without helping yourself.

If that makes any sense.

I really liked your post about your grandmother's desk, by the way.

Good luck with the resolution! I have a friend who is a poet and we were at a retreat thing together (not a writing retreat - a student-oriented thing) and despite the fact that everyone ran around until the wee hours of the morning and we, as organizers, had to be up early to get everything set up, each day (of 3) she still got up an hour earlier than she had to and wrote. That impressed the hell out of me. I certainly don't write every day, but I try to keep her in mind as a model.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

What NK said ... resolutions are supposed to be all about you. And these sound like great resolutions that will work together.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger CharlieAmra said...

Ah yes, be careful of the Fine Print. That is always the killer.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger anbruch said...

That's why I don't read the fine print—I'm a Mac user afterall :).

jwb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home