Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Plight of the humble me

There are days when I feel like such a dupe. There are days when colleagues (but they're not really my colleagues, are they?) grow petty and cruel. It could be ego or simple thoughtlessness that makes them flash their claws. I don't know. All I know is this: In a forest full of predators, it's a shame to be the rabbit.

"Okay, then. What do you want?" asks Adam. "What would you prefer to be?"

For a moment, I'm quiet, pondering stripes and talons. Then the answer comes, and it is so pathetic I start to cry.

"I want to be.... an inedible rabbit."

2 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Benedict said...

Would it be insensitive to comment that the first thing I noticed about this post is its position relative to the carrot soup piece?

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

It could be either ego or thoughtlessness...or just a reflection of their own anxieties and insecurities, which is often the case. Academics are often a pretty anxious lot, which doesn't always make us very nice.

But I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home