Sunday, March 06, 2005

Sibyl Says

The GOOD NEWS: I've been accepted to two conferences. Yay! The conference in Minneapolis will feel like going home. The other conference is in the beautiful city of Montreal, where only good things happen to me. (Or so I've convinced myself, on the basis of two prior visits.)

The BAD NEWS: I have only eight more weeks of my employment. After that... the unknown. And so do I really have the money to be spending on conference travel?

The GOOD NEWS: The prospect of travel has given me a mental boost. And both conferences represent the chance to try out material from my new (post-dissertation) project.

The BAD NEWS: It's unlikely Adam will be able to go with me on either conference, on account of timing and budget constraints. The same is true for the two conferences he's going to this month. We would have liked to have made a vacation out of the one that falls over spring break. Alas, I'm on writing deadline and, given our impending move, we couldn't justify the expense of an extra airline tickets.

The GOOD NEWS: At least I don't have to go to Texas.

The BAD NEWS: Um, I accidentally ate a piece of moldy bread on Thursday. The bread was new, so I thought that white dusting on the bottom was flour. Yuck!

The GOOD NEWS: I survived.

More GOOD NEWS: Adam and I went cross-country skiing yesterday. Conditions were ideal. Blue skies, quiet trails, perfect snow.

The BAD NEWS: There was no hot water when we came home. I took an icy shower, caught a chill that I couldn't shake for the rest of the day, and so was in bed by eight. (Cold showers, moldy bread... You must really be impressed by now with the depths of my suffering, eh?)

The GOOD NEWS: Twelve (!) hours later, my inner furnace recovered. I feel just fine now, with only a little bit of ski-soreness in the arms and upper back.

The BAD NEWS: It's Sunday. I have a daunting amount of prep for the week ahead. And tomorrow is the day from hell.

The GOOD NEWS: Just four more days until the start of spring break....

3 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger anbruch said...

You get to go to Minneapolis! And Montreal! Yay!

Sorry that Adam can't go.

jwb

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger YelloCello said...

Thanks, Jimbo. And thanks, Wolfangel. I may just take you up on that offer of advice.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Benedict said...

So, what is the "Ugly" news?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home