Monday, January 09, 2006

May Be

The interview went very well, I think. Contrary to her reputation, the interviewer was not "prickly" at all. In fact, I quite liked her and found it very easy to talk with her.

At the end of the interview, I went ahead and brought up the pregnancy. This caused my interviewer to smile nervously. "I did notice that," she said. "But you know there are laws against me saying anything." I said that I was inviting her to talk about it if she wanted to, and then told her truthfully about arrangements my partner and I have made for balancing work and baby in the spring. (He's teaching but one course next term.) She asked me my due date and suggested that the timing would be okay. She then further mused that "you will be the only person in the office with a child."

It wasn't clear if, by that statement, she was saying that I had the job... or that she considered me ill-suited to the job. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Even if I don't get offered this job, I'm glad I did the interview. If nothing else, it helps eradicate the lingering remorse I was still feeling from my one horrible job interview this past summer.

3 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger effective nancy said...

Sounds like you did well to bring up the pregnancy--if you're the "only person in the office with a child," then no one there likely knows how to handle that subject gracefully, or from experience. Good work! and I hope, good job.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger What Now? said...

I'm glad the interview went well. Here's hoping for a job offer!

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job!! I'm sure it felt good to get dressed up and get out there and do it. Sounds like the pregnancy part went about as well as one could expect. I'm sure it made her more comfortable that you brought it up.

My supervisor where I taught last year was a woman that sounds very much like the one you described. She had no family and frankly didn't seem to know what to do with my big belly, mostly ignored it. I felt like I had to teach her to be at ease with it. :-) (Since at the time I didn't know we were moving and she was planning for me to be teaching again this past fall since they were short-handed, and before we all knew that the Hurricane would eradicate the fall....)

well congratulations! and I hope you get the offer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home